Why you should visit Zimbabwe & Botswana in the Green Season
The ‘Green Season‘ as it is known is a fantastic time to visit Zimbabwe or Botswana. Our rains happen in the summer months from November through to April. During the green season, most lodges offer lower prices, you will have few other travellers around and spectacular lush scenery filled with migratory birds and baby animals. You get to experience a private Africa at an affordable price as lodges drop their rates.
Showers are usually short and happen in the late afternoon and evenings although occasionally we get a few rainy days the weather is still mild and warm. Expect long warm days and dramatically shifting light patterns as clouds build up, dissipate and give way to clear and dust-free skies.
We also highly recommend a green season safari for seasoned African travellers as it will give them a new experience of the continent.
Best areas to visit in the green season for Zimbabwe and Botswana:
- Hwange National Park with few tourists around you’ll have the pick of the best guides and good access to the incredible game on the Ngamo Plains. There are 400 bird species in Hwange during the green season so it’s heaven for birders!
- Victoria Falls are in their heaviest flow during the period February to May with a peak in April. The spray from the falls typically rises to a height of over 500 metres and is visible from huge distances. Prepare to be awed and to get very, very wet!
- The Central Kalahari is at its best from December to April when wildlife isn’t dependent on the permanent waters of the delta or Chobe River System
- Nxai Pan also offers spectacular game viewing as migrating animals are arriving. Huge herds of zebras and wildebeest are congregating into the open areas.
- In the Okavango Delta, game viewing becomes more rewarding as the floodwaters withdraw leaving more areas open for the game. This is the ideal time to experience a water and wildlife combination.